Wednesday 3 August 2016

John Paul White Shares New Video + UK Dates Ahead of Album Release

Ahead of the release of his album Beulah this month (August 19th), John Paul White has released the video for album track, 'What's So'.

The album is White's first solo work in nearly a decade and will be released through Single Lock Records.

White has also confirmed a couple of headlining shows in the UK this November:

- 7th November 2016 - The Deaf Institute, Manchester
- 8th November 2016 - Bush Hall, London

The highly anticipated release is White’s first solo work in nearly a decade. It was produced by Ben Tanner (Alabama Shakes) and White, and recorded in Muscle Shoals at the renowned FAME Studios and at White’s own Single Lock Studios, which he founded and runs with Ben Tanner and Will Trapp.

Beulah is a diverse collection of swampy southern rock, folk balladry and dark acoustic pop, songs that came unbidden to White, who wasn’t entirely welcoming of them at the time. “Honestly, I tried to avoid them, but then I realised the only way I was going to get rid of them was if I wrote them down. I got my phone out, and I’d sing these little bits of melody, then put it away and move on. Eventually I got to a place where it was a roar in my head, and that pissed me off. Then one day I told my wife, ‘I think I’m going to go write a song.’ She was as surprised as I was. I went and wrote probably eight songs in three days. It was like turning on a faucet.” The title refers to a longtime family nickname and a reference to William Blake’s “place deep in the collective spiritual unconscious.”

One half of the four time Grammy-winning duo The Civil Wars, White’s recent recording collaborations include work with Jason IsbellCandi StatonRosanne CashEmmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, among others.


For further information on Beulah and tour dates, visit White's official website.